Work Experience

Work Experience is an Off-Campus Education Program that allows a student to earn High School credits for the experience and on-the-job training they receive while working at a part-time job during the school year, during the summer months or holidays. If you have any questions about the Work Experience program please have a look at the following list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you require further information please come see Mrs. Burry in the Off-Campus Education Office at MHHS (located in the Main Office) or call 527-3371 extension 7112.


Who may go into Work Experience?

  • Any MHHS student in grade 10, 11, or 12 who has a part-time job during the school year or a position during the summer months, or who volunteers, can sign up for Work Experience. Grade 9's who will attend MHHS can also register in the summer following graduation from Grade 9.

What do I need to do?

  • Obtain and complete an Employer Contract - copies are available in the Off-Campus Education office. Return the completed form to the same office. After processing, Mrs. Burry will show you how to complete the weekly timesheets, and make sure you have completed the necessary workplace safety course.  Following this, you must submit those timesheets every month, get employer and self evaluations done on regular intervals, do your best at your job, and finally, stay in touch with Mrs. Burry about any changes in your WE position status.

    How do I earn credits?

    • Students can earn anywhere from 3 to 30 credits in over their time in High School.  Credits are based on time worked. Each credit requires 25 hours of work. (for example, 5 credits will require 125 hours of work, 6 credits- 150 hours, and so on) the minimum number of credits that can be issued in Work Experience is 3 (or 75 hours). Evaluations must also be done regularly in order for Work Experience course marks to be calculated.

    Can I use the same job for all 30 credits?

    • see answer to next question below.

    Do I have to quit my job after 10 credits and get a new one to continue earning Work Experience Credits?

    • No, you do not necessarily need to, but in order to meet Alberta Education curricular requirements you must have a new learning plan in place for subsequent credits. The new Learning Plan should include new goals and new skills being developed. This can involve higher level skills within the same job description or a move to a new position within the same organization. If no new skills or positions are possible with the current employer then yes, it may be necessary to move to a new employer/position in order to continue in Work Experience.

    Is there a time limit of when the credits must be completed?

    • No. Students' work schedules vary from one student to another and therefore students earn WE credits on an individual basis. For example, if a student works 10 hours a week, that student will probably earn 10 credits in about 6 or 7 months. It may take another student less time, or more time.

    Can I use more than one job for Work Experience?

    • Yes. The more variety in job experiences, the more likely that students can earn the maximum number of Work Experience credits (30) and along with it the Off Campus Distinction Award (Green Cord at Graduation). Students can also use two jobs at one time. The student just needs two different employer contracts in place at the same time.

    What are the advantages of being in Work Experience?

    • 15 credits may be used towards earning a high school diploma
    • Qualify for the Off-Campus Distinction (Green Cord) Award
    • Better chances of reaching the Credit Distinction (White Cord) Award
    • Knowledge, skills, and attributes gained in the workplace are lifelong
    • Students can continue to work without having to alter their timetables
    • A good employment experience and positive employer evaluations can build your resume' and portfolio
    • WCB insurance provided for all WE students through Alberta Education

    Can I use a job in the summer for Work Experience?

    • Yes. Students have 3 summers for Work Experience - the summer after grade 9, 10,and 11, and even the summer after grade 12 is possible if the student wishes to complete a set of credits.

    Can volunteer work be considered Work Experience?

    • Yes, the same criteria are used. Students often combine a paying job with volunteer work. There must also be a regular supervisor within the Volunteer organization that will be responsible for doing student evaluations.

    Can volunteer hours be combined

    • Yes, the volunteer hours can be accumulated over three years.

    How do I sign Up?

    • Get a SD76 OC Agreement form and Learning Plan completed and handed in (students cannot be in Work Experience and count hours until the District contract is completed and handed in)


    • Complete the HCS3000 Pre-requisite Course in your CALM class or thru Mrs. Burry and the Alberta Job Safety Skills Society online.
    • Complete your Monthly Time Sheets neatly (including 2 signatures each from you and your employer) and hand them in monthly during the school year and in Sept for the summer months.
    • Make sure your Employer Evaluation and Student Self Evaluation ​forms are done at least every 125 hours.  Monitor your hours and notify the Off-Campus Coordinator and your employer when you are approaching each 125 hour evaluation period.
    • Stay in contact with the Off-Campus Coordinator on a regular basis to update them on any changes to your Work Experience status, such as new job skills, new duties, workplace issues or problems, or any changes to your Registration information.


    Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.